Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Lifestyle: Septum Piercing


I finally did it! Last day of classes and I thought, why not get a new piercing? I usually get a piercing anyways after exam week or if something memorable had happened. I'm the type of person to just want things anyways. It's not like I'll have this septum piercing showing 24/7. But yeah, now I feel like one of those girls on instagram that are always showing off how cool this piercing is.
I got the piercing at Ancient Art Tattoo Studio in Blacksburg, VA. This is 1 out of 3 piercings I've gotten from there and they have all been done by the same piercer. If you want to read about my process getting this piercing, read on!

BEFORE 
Now right before I went into the piercing room, I had to pay up front and then I got to choose what kind of jewelry I wanted. The front desk, knowing what kind of piercing I was getting, was cool enough to ask if I was going to need to hide this piercing for work. And I responded hell yeah. I will definitely not be wearing this piercing once I graduate on a daily basis. Even going to my last class felt weird with the piercing on. Moving on... The piercer, her name is Vicky, came out to the lobby and escorted me into the piercing room. Her apprentice was with her and Vicky politely asked if it was cool for her to stay; I didn't mind.

DURING
I get seated in the chair and Vicky does her spiel on the whole procedure. She gave me a handful of tissues, since you're eyes are naturally suppose to tear up when you get your septum pierced. She thoroughly cleaned my nostrils by putting her fingers up there with a cleaning wipe. Was sort of awkward since my nostrils were a little small, and her fingers were up my nose... Then she got q-tips and sort of roughly swabbed the middle cartilage for the piercing. Vicky told me that the piercing isn't that bad and that the clamps probably hurt more than the piercing itself. Since she said that, I mentally prepared myself for some pain; but the clamps didn't hurt or anything. Then it was time for the needle. Quickly she told me to breathe in and take a deep breath out. Boom. It was done.

AFTER
Vicky did her thing and somehow got the ring in and the needle out. Once the ring was on, she told me it was time to tighten the ball barrings which might take a long time depending if my eyes were tearing. Again at this point, my eyes were fine and I didn't need a break so Vicky went straight in to putting the barrings in. She handed me a mirror, and I couldn't help checking myself out. She continued her spiel on the piercing, made sure I was use to screwing and unscrewing the ball barrings, and asked if I had any questions about the piercing. I asked her how to flip the septum since I probably won't be able to wear this out when I work. She softly demonstrated on my new piercing and thoroughly showed me how to flip it inside. She cleaned up the little blood that was caused from moving the piercing, and then I was done.


PAIN?
I've have an industrial piercing and Vicky said that the industrial is one of the more painful piercings. However, I didn't think it hurt at all... So my pain tolerance seems to be pretty high. I did not feel a thing when she pierced the septum. But after a day of having it on, I think the aftermath is more painful than the actual piercing.

CLEANINGSince this piercing is not a normal outside of the body piercing, I had to ask Vicky specifics on cleaning this particular one. Usually you use soap on piercings, but I can't shove soap up my nose. Vicky explained to me that I should just use q-tips with water and clean hands to clean the crust off the ring. Since this piercing is prone to moving in and out, it's really important to make sure the crust around is doesn't go into the hole.

OVERALL
I freaking love this piercing. It looks tight, and my piercer made it so easy to get. All I have to do now is just try not to sneeze cause I have no idea what I would do in that situation LOL.



No comments:

Post a Comment